Monday, February 28, 2011

"Long, long away?"

There are some moments that you just have to document for posterity.

Before Lydia's hospital adventures started this last time in the Fall of 2009 I had gone on Etsy (etsy.com) and got some hospital gowns made for Lydia. It was so nice to have something comfortable and even stylish for her to wear during her frequent hospital visits. She called them her hospital dresses.





A few days ago I started talking with the lady that made these about getting one more made as she is growing so fast and hospital stays are likely again in the future. So I excitedly told Lydia that we were getting another hospital dress made with princesses on it for the next time she had to go to the hospital. I'll never forget the look she gave me. Pure and utter terror with a hint of defeat. Those big eyes of hers looked old and wise and weary. Realizing her fear I quickly said "not now! Not today!" She smiled a bit uncertainly. "Long, long away?" Her hands stretched out the distance between them as far as her one crooked arm would let her. "Yes, a long time from now." I pray it is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment